Nasjonalt organ for kvalitet i utdanningen (NOKUT)
NOKUT is the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education and was established in 2002. NOKUT has the legal competence to
NOKUT is an independent government body. Through evaluation, accreditation and recognition of programmes, institutions and quality systems, NOKUT supervises and furthers the quality of higher education in Norway. In addition, NOKUT considers individual applications for general recognition of foreign qualifications.
The primary responsibilities of NOKUT are:
- the evaluation, accreditation and recognition of programmes, institutions and quality systems
- the recognition of foreign qualifications
Additional responsibilities of NOKUT include:
- systematic evaluations (quality audits) of the quality assurance systems of higher education institutions;
- setting evaluation criteria for these systematic evaluations.
- additional evaluations in order to give (broad) assessments of the quality of (aspects of) Norwegian higher education.
Focus of accreditation
The NOKUT grants both programme and institutional accreditation.
Institutional accreditation means that NOKUT formally recognises, following an assessment, that an institution of higher education and the programmes it offers meet a given set of standards.
Programme accreditation means
The consequences of accreditation
If the accreditation decision is positive, the programme is accredited. This means that the programme can be funded, that enrolling students can receive grants and that the title can be awarded after successfull completion of the programme.
If the accreditation decision is negative, the programme can no longer be offered.
NOKUT publishes all accreditation reports and accreditation decisions
Mutual recognition agreements
NOKUT has mutual recognition agreements with:
- Fachhochschulrat (FH Council), Austria
- Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatieorganisatie (NVAO), the Netherlands and Flanders
- Organ für Akkreditierung und Qualitätssicherung der Schweizerischen Hochschulen (OAQ), Switzerland
|Nasjonalt organ for kvalitet i utdanningen (NOKUT)|